The forum of the Irish vACC of VATSIM

A new and exciting chapter for us at VATeir

All,

I have a few things to say. Firstly, Martin has asked me to announce that, due to the fact that he has been extremely busy over the past few months, he is stepping down as Director of the vACC after a hugely successful 2 and a half years of leading VATeir. The vACC has seen huge growth since we've gotten our new training system, thanks to Cillian, and new staff team - growth is mainly due to the work of mentors, controllers, and members who have helped out. Despite the slow we've seen because of the Leaving and Junior Cert and the usual summer lull, things are beginning to come back to normal and ATC hours have been on a steady weekly rise for the past few months. Hopefully this will continue.

I've been shadowing Martin for the best part of a year, and with his help have kept the training going - we'll have 5 exams or so to get through over the next few weeks. Once we get some of these done and hopefully good results, we'll have our next ridiculously long-overdue event. When things start getting back into action this should return to normal, and I think it might be best if we have someone specifically dedicated to events to prevent this lack of events from happening again.

As Martin is stepping down, I will be taking up the role as the vACC's Director. I'm very excited about this - of course a new Director is always made out to be a big deal, but this change won't have a massive impact - Martin has kindly let me implement/remove things that I felt were needed as TD, and as a result of that there won't be any immediate changes. However, there are a few things that I'm excited to say:

• We'll be expanding the mentoring team quite a bit. Training is what keeps a vACC going, and it's vital that we keep it ticking over. I have a few ideas that I'll confirm in a few days with regards to mentoring and training. These changes are with the intention of improving every aspect of training and reducing unnecessary waiting times for our dedicated and enthusiastic students.
  • As I'll be leaving the role as Training Director, I'll need someone to step up, however I haven't given it any thought yet - more to come.
  • We will be releasing Controller manuals for Cork, Shannon and Baldonnel before the end of the month. This is thanks to Paul, Ciarán and Ian who have graciously given up many evenings to write these. Of course this will be a huge help to training and will be one of the things to help improve the standard and efficiency of training.
That was a bit too long. Anyway, that is all I have to say. As I said I'm looking forward to seeing the vACC enter a new chapter and see even more growth in both membership and traffic. We have also been told that a scenery developer is currently working on a Dublin scenery for P3Dv4 - this has stopped a lot of pilots from flying into Dublin and has certainly lead to a decrease in movements. When this is released, I'm sure traffic numbers will take a very quick turn.

I'd again like to say thanks to Martin from all of us for the work and time that he has put into the vACC. Students will be delighted to hear that he will still be examining!

Thanks for reading,
Cathal.
Thanks Martin for all the work, congratulations on the new role Cathal, exciting times ahead, looking forward for what is to come!
Congrats Cathal, and thanks Martin for everything. Can't wait to see what the future holds!
To paraphrase the late Martin Luther King Jr.

“Free at last, Free at last, Thank God almighty I'm free at last.”

I would like to offer both my congratulations and commiseration to Cathal in accepting this role - but having had him shadowing me and effectively running the vACC for the past few months i have no doubt he will do a great job.

I would also like to thank all those members of the vACC I have had the privilege of working with as Director and I want to acknowledge the huge amount of work put in by all to make the vACC what it it today.

And finally to quote another cultural icon, this time Vinny Jones as Big Chris in Lock Stock

"Its been emotional"
Congratulations Cathal and thank you Martin for all the work you've done for the vACC in the past.
Congratulations Cathal. Always knew that you would have this role some day. Truly deserved. Well done. Thank you Martin for your dedication and work.